Skip to main content

Comparing Le Jetee, the short, and 12 Monkeys, the full-length movie

    Hey, blog! It's me again, today, I'll be comparing a short and a full-length film for my research. I'll be examining La Jetée and 12 Monkeys.

    I watched a video that compares 12 Monkeys and La Jetée, and it discussed how the feature film naturally extends the short, building on the original ideas. The video also touched on how both films explore the inevitability of certain events. In La Jetée, the short film, the protagonist is caught in a loop, unable to change the outcome. In contrast, 12 Monkeys takes this concept further, with the main character attempting to prevent a catastrophic event. The way time is portrayed in both films is crucial to their themes, and the video highlights how this theme is central to both works. The video also showed me how manipulating time plays a critical role in storytelling. Time travel is a central theme in both films, but La Jetée uses photography to reinforce the unchanging nature of time, while 12 Monkeys builds on this with the ability to alter past events. This taught me that time manipulation not only drives the plot but can also add emotional depth to the story.


    The article I read covers a similar comparison. One major takeaway for me was how adapting La Jetée into a full-length film allowed for a deeper exploration of memory and identity. While La Jetée focuses on the implications of time travel using minimal visual language, 12 Monkeys expands on these themes and introduces others, such as mental illness and the nature of memory. The article also discusses the difference in how the protagonists approach time. In La Jetée, the main character is a passive victim of time, while in 12 Monkeys, the protagonist actively tries to change the past. This shift results in a major narrative change. La Jetée emphasizes fate, while 12 Monkeys focuses more on human agency. The article points out that 12 Monkeys follows a more conventional narrative structure compared to the photo montage style of La Jetée.

Another key takeaway from the article was how each film uses its respective medium. The photographs in La Jetée and the film in 12 Monkeys both symbolize the passage of time, with still images conveying stillness and urgency conveyed through motion.

That's it for today's blog! Until next time, Karina logging off.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Title Research: Art of the Title Website

 Hello everyone,     Welcome back to another blog! Today, I will be discussing with you our websites on title research. The title design in opening sequences is extremely important. So, it’s equally as important to properly plan. Because of this, my group has made sure to use the best websites to research our titles and title research. The two websites I have chosen for this research are http://www.artofthetitle.com/ and http://www.watchthetitles.com/. These websites are really good for many reasons. The first is that art of the Title website has movies from around the world, which is really good for variety and helps to research broader styles and genres.     Additionally, the site features title designs of film, television, conference, and video game industries. Again, this is very good for a broad selection. The other website, Watchthetitles.com, has over 200 title sequences, along with video interviews, and articles about movie titles. They are both great we...

Group blog for music video

       Hey blog! its me again. I will be starting my music video soon. Firstly I would like to introduce my group. I will be working with Madeline Merrick and Makenna Ricks. I choose to work with them because were able to go places to film and work on the project. I call Madeline maddie, and i met her at soccer. I met her when i was about 6 years old. We have played soccer together since then. I met Makenna in the 6th grade. We went to the same middle school, Maddie also went to the same middle school.  I also selected these people because we tend to work well together. The song we selected was "Are we still friends" by Tyler The Creator. This was chosen and agreed by all of us. It started off with a list of songs and slowly started to select some out, we pictured a video with the song and listened to the song carefully. We crossed some off because they didn't fit exactly what we were looking for. We made a group call and listened to each song together and gave ...

Production blog: Filming

 Hey blog! its me again. Quick update, my soccer team made it to semi-final regionals. My group and I met up at Maddie's house to get ready to go to the carnival. I brought all of the props that were needed for the film. Once we arrived at the carnival we decided who films when. I filmed every clip i was not in. It was very difficult to distribute the filming time within each other. The first scene I filmed was a tracking shot. I was standing behind the character and followed them. As this shot was going on it was also an over the shoulder shot. This helped the audience understand it is from a certain perspective of the stalker following the girls. The next scene i filmed was a low angle. I filmed the shoes running on the grass. The final scene i was able to film was following one of the characters after getting seperated from her friend. This scene was also a tracking shot. In this scene the friend was worried looking around and making lots of confused movements. I made sure to ca...